Job Opportunity: Project Monitoring and Reporting Officer at ICLEI - European Secretariat
Start date: November 2015
Duration: 1 year with a view to extending
Deadline for application: 30 September 2015
ICLEI is a global association of over 1,000 cities, towns and metropolises in 86 countries with a mission to promote global sustainability through local action. ICLEI has around 300 urban development professionals working in 17 secretariats and offices, supporting cities and regions to become sustainable, low-carbon, resilient, biodiverse, resource-efficient and productive, ecomobile, smart and healthy and happy. More than 20% of the world’s urban population benefit from ICLEI's work which is global in scope and impact, and yet very local in implementation.
The European Secretariat of ICLEI - Local Governments for Sustainability seeks to fill the position of Officer within its Finance team.
The Finance team is responsible for the day to day accounting and financial operations of the ICLEI European Secretariat in line with the directives of the Managing Director. It is also responsible for overseeing, managing and directing all financing issues for a large number of international projects and for preparing financial reports and audits for these.
Tasks and responsibilities:
To oversee and carry out the financial management of projects in cooperation with the responsible project coordinators and under the supervision of the Finance Director of the ICLEI European Secretariat GmbH.
• The development of financial controlling and reporting templates in line with the various requirements of different funders and projects
• Regularly collecting and processing internal financial data for projects and keeping them up to date
• Collecting and processing information from project partners for financial reports
• Controlling project expenses in line with the budgetary and financial management rules for individual projects in line with the financial management rules of the ICLEI European Secretariat
• Manage and execute the project quality controlling in cooperation with the responsible project coordinators
• Preparing financial reports for project funders and auditors in cooperation with the Finance Director
• Linking and harmonising project accounting with general accounting in the ICLEI European Secretariat
• Supporting the development of project budgets together with the responsible coordinators
Skills and qualifications:
• Degree or professional training in finance management, accounting, international affairs, project management or other relevant field
• At least 2 years of relevant professional experience
• Very good knowledge of Excel and other standard office software
• A good grasp of figures and calculations
• Strong organisational skills and the ability to work on a multitude of projects in parallel, also within tight time constraints
• Capacity to work both independently and within an international team
• High degree of precision and ability to set priorities and to be self-organised within a complex team, confident manner when dealing with project partners
• Very good communication and interpersonal skills (verbally and in writing)
• Very good command of and high confidence in communication in English (reading, writing and speaking), German is an advantage and additional European language(s) an asset
• Creative, forward thinking and proactive attitude
• Experience in the financial side of international project work and/or non-profit environment
• Experience of working within the framework of European Union funding schemes
• Limited contract, duration from November 2015 until October 2016.
• Full–time position with a gross salary according to Officer position in ICLEI’s salary grid (indicative: EUR 35,000 - 40,000 per annum)
• Place of work: ICLEI European Secretariat, Freiburg, Germany.
• Working hours: 40 h/week, six weeks of paid leave per annum.
• Working language: English.
• Applicants must – due to legal reasons – hold EU citizenship or valid EU residence permit and a valid German work permit. Applications not meeting these conditions can unfortunately not be considered.
Deadline for application: 30 September 2015
Be aware that applications are reviewed continuously upon arrival; therefore application as soon as possible is advisable.
Please apply in writing, including a CV and letter of motivation to: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about ICLEI visit: www.iclei-europe.org
ICLEI Europe’s Equal Opportunity and Employment Policy
ICLEI Europe’s hiring policy is geared to ensure that the organisation hires employees without regard to their race, colour, religion, national origin, citizenship, age, sex, marital status, socio-economic background or sexual orientation. ICLEI’s policy is that applicants for employment and career progression are considered solely on the basis of their qualifications and competencies.