Job Opportunity: Project Assistant at ICLEI Local Governments for Sustainability - Southeast Asia Secretariat
Applications are invited for the position of Project Assistant at ICLEI Local Governments for Sustainability Southeast Asia Secretariat, Incorporated. This is an exciting and challenging opportunity to work with ICLEI, one of the leading local government associations in the world. The Secretariat is seeking a suitably qualified and motivated Project Assistant. This post aims at strengthening the capacity of the Secretariat on Climate Change and other Sustainability issues.
CLOSING DATE: FRIDAY, 17 JULY 2015
A. About ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability
ICLEI is the world's leading association of cities and local governments dedicated to sustainable development. ICLEI is a powerful movement of 12 mega-cities, 100 super-cities and urban regions, 450 large cities as well as 450 medium-sized cities and towns in 86 countries.
ICLEI was founded in 1990 as the 'International Council for Local Environmental Initiatives' when more than 200 local governments from 43 countries convened during the World Congress of Local Governments for a Sustainable Future. In 2003, the 'International Council for Local Environmental Initiatives' became 'ICLEI - Local Governments for Sustainability' with a broader mandate to address sustainability issues. More information at www.iclei.org.
With its wide array of network, ICLEI has a number of regional and country offices located in various parts of the world. ICLEI Southeast Asia Secretariat (ICLEI SEAS) is based in the Philippines. Apart from its host country, it presently operates in Indonesia, Thailand and Malaysia but caters to the needs of the region in general. To know more about ICLEI SEAS, visit seas.iclei.org.
B. Job Description
ICLEI SEAS is currently looking for one full-time Project Assistant to be based in Quezon City, Philippines.
Project Assistant. The Project Assistant works closely with the ICLEI SEAS Project Officer and Program Manager in coordinating the overall planning, management and implementation of projects assigned. This position will perform administrative management support for effective project implementation and will support the Project Officer / Program Manager in close coordination with the Regional Director to ensure the timely accomplishment of project deliverables. The Project Assistant shall also be charged with other regular functions of the Secretariat.
C. Key Responsibilities:
1. Project Implementation: Assist ICLEI SEAS in implementing projects namely: 1) Integrated Resource Management in Asian Cities: the Urban Nexus; 2) Earth Hour Cities Challenge (EHCC); and 3) activities relating to the Compact of Mayors.
2. Research: Carry out research tasks for position papers, case studies, and other ad-hoc tasks, depending on project needs (e.g., proposal development);
3. Events: Support the organization and delivery of ICLEI SEAS-led events including trainings, workshops, dialogues, and study tours;
4. Networking: Support ICLEI SEAS in external communication with partners and other parties interested in information or getting involved in projects and other initiatives.
5. General office support: Assist in filing, minute talking, telephone support and management of contacts.
• A Bachelor’s degree in environmental science/management, political science, community- or social development and other relevant degree; or a combination of relevant education and experience;
• At least two-year work experience in program/project implementation with focus on sustainable development issues such as climate change, low carbon development, and integrated resource management;
• Previous experience in development work or related work for donor organizations, government institutions, NGOs, private sector/consulting firm is a strong advantage
• Excellent command of the English language (written and spoken);
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint;
• Ability to handle multiple tasks without compromising both the quality of output/s and project deadlines;
• Creative, motivated, with keen attention to detail, and highly organized
E. Terms and Conditions
• Full-time position available beginning August 2015.
• Staff will be based at the ICLEI SEAS office at:
ICLEI - Local Governments for Sustainability
Southeast Asia Secretariat
Units 3 to 6 Manila Observatory Building
Ateneo de Manila University, Loyola Heights,
Quezon City, 1108, Philippines
• Working hours: 40 hours/week. Periodic communication with global partners may require work beyond office hours.
• Applicant must be willing and able to travel domestically and internationally.
F. Application Process
E-mail cover letter, brief CV, and accomplished Key Selection Criteria Response Form (see pp. 4-6) to Ms. Zeny Ranario-Tagolino <firstname.lastname@example.org> on or before 17 July 2015 with the subject line: Applicant’s Initials plus Surname - ICLEI SEAS Project Assistant (i.e., ZRTagolino – ICLEI SEAS Project Assistant).
Kindly address the cover letter to:
ICLEI Local Governments for Sustainability
Southeast Asia Secretariat