Job Opportunity: Junior Officer in Urban Research
ICLEI is the world's leading network of over 1,000 cities, towns and metropolises committed to building a sustainable future. By helping our Members to make their cities sustainable, low-carbon, resilient, biodiverse, resource-efficient, healthy and happy, with a green economy and smart infrastructure, we impact over 20% of the global population.
ICLEI is looking for applicants for the position of Junior Officer in Urban Research In the Capacity Center at the ICLEI World Secretariat in Bonn, Germany.
Assisting the Capacity Center’s work on capturing and processing knowledge and information from internal and external sources on local governments and sustainability
worldwide, may include:
• Editing and preparing reports and documents, notably Briefing Sheets (policy papers) on topical issues and global processes related to sustainable urban development and Case Studies.
• Researching facts and figures for strategic briefings and other documents.
• Producing presentation materials incl. graphics, charts, PowerPoint slides and posters.
• Support to ICLEI’s global content management function.
• Researching and compiling global data sources on indicators and data applicable to local sustainability
• Supporting the implementation of studies and research projects.
• Supporting the preparation of project proposals.
• Maintaining relevant pages on the ICLEI websites as well as ICLEI Intranet
• Support the other tasks and functions of the Capacity Center
• Master’s Degree in a relevant subject such as Environmental Management / Governance, Public Administration, Urban Affairs, Geography, Social Sciences, or similar
• Experience or familiarity in the areas of world urban affairs, local governments, international relations, politics of climate change, the post-2015 sustainable development
agenda or similar.
• Excellent command of English language (native level written and spoken) is required, and additional languages are an asset, notably French, German, Korean, Japanese, Chinese,
Portuguese and/or Spanish
• Solid research and writing skills, organized working style, attention to detail, creative and trouble-shooting attitude, and able to work independently and in a team.
• Good communication style, in writing and orally
• Confident user of Microsoft Office applications, fast learner when it comes to new software (e.g. for layout work, web editing or database management)
Terms and conditions
• The position is available from the beginning of September 2015 at the ICLEI World Secretariat in Bonn, Germany. The duration will be six months. The Junior Officer reports
to the Urban Research Officer.
• ICLEI will offer a compensation of a yearly gross salary of Euro 21,000
• Workings hours: 40/week, 30 day paid leave per annum (i.e. 15 days for six month
• Working language: English
• Due to legal requirements, applicants must be eligible to obtain the appropriate work permit for Germany prior to the start of the position.
Send email (firstname.lastname@example.org) job application (reference in subject line: “Junior Officer, Urban Research”) including:
• letter of motivation
• CV (max 3 pages)
• indication of citizenship, and if non-EU, if holder of a work permit for Germany
• indication of availability date
Application deadline: 19 August 2015