Job opportunity: ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability in Bonn, Germany
Deadline: 21 December 2015
ICLEI-Local Governments for Sustainability is the world’s leading network of over 1,000 cities, towns and metropolises committed to building a sustainable future. By helping our Members to make their cities and regions sustainable, low-carbon, resilient, ecomobile, biodiverse, resource-efficient and productive, smart and healthy and happy, we impact over 20% of the world's urban population. In May 2010, ICLEI World Secretariat launched Resilient Cities, a series of annual global forums on urban resilience and adaptation. After five successful editions, the Resilient Cities team is now preparing Resilient Cities 2016, to be held in Bonn, Germany from 6 to 8 July 2016. For more information please check www.iclei.org/resilient-cities.
We are offering a position as Junior Officer, Resilient Cities The selected candidate will be part of the Resilient Cities team that ICLEI maintains at the World Secretariat in Bonn, Germany.
(1) Support the team of Resilient Cities 2016, 7 th Global Forum on Urban Resilience and Adaptation to Climate Change (see www.iclei.org/resilient-cities for more information about the previous editions) to be held from 6 to 8 July 2016 in Bonn, Germany; in particular:
- Be involved in the screening and selection process of the congress contributions in reaction to the public call for contributions
- Support the program development and the Program Committee by providing inputs, developing session descriptions and assisting in the speakers' invitation and briefing phase
- Organize special congress elements (such as “Reality Check Workshops”, thematic forums and special interactions between funding organizations and interested cities) with selected cities and partners.
- Coordinate the organization of panels, workshops and co-events by managing the related external communications and supporting the content development.
- Communicate with speakers, partners, funders, sponsors and - Support the project fundraising as needed.
- Manage partners and contributors by also using databases.
- Prepare communications, announcements, articles, and promotional materials.
- Support in editing and layouting congress-related publications and promotional materials.
- Edit congress web pages with focus on the program related webpages.
- Contribute to the Congress reporting activities at the event and after the congress.
- Be involved in the post congress follow up.
- Support the general congress implementation.
(2) Contribute to the general work of ICLEI’s Resilient Cities Program, and related projects, partnerships, deliverables, and strategy including:
- Support development of global services and tools for local governments to support urban resilience planning and implementation under ICLEI’s Resilient City Agenda.
- Support coordination with ICLEI Regional Offices on joint programs and strategy.
- Assist with project development and acquisition.
- Support with the development and delivery of training materials, as needed.
- Contribute to related research, case studies, and online materials including for example the Resilient Cities Resource Point and Webinar series, (with a potential focus on financing resilience and local project implementation).
• Degree in a relevant subject such as Urban Planning & Management, Urban sustainability and resilience, Climate Change Adaptation and Local Development, or similar;
• Interest and previous experience in the areas of cities and local government, integrated urban planning & management, and urban resilience and sustainability; • Interest and previous experience in the topic of implementing and financing local resilience projects is an asset,
• Experience in events organization, possibly with a focus on program development, content and editing, preferred;
• Interest and previous experience in related topics is an asset, including: ecosystem-based adaptation, integrated urban planning (mitigation, adaptation, risk reduction), resilient infrastructure and building, resilient urban food systems, resilient business models / Public-private partnerships, measuring (indicators) and monitoring resilience, climate change impacts & adaptation, urban risk.
• Organizing skills, organized working style, creative and pro-active attitude;
• Positive and flexible under pressure;
• Good communication skills, written and orally;
• Excellent editing and writing skills;
• Confident user of Microsoft Office. Some experience with databases, web editing (Typo3 or other CMS), desktop publishing software (preferably InDesign), and social media experience is an asset;
• English fluency, further languages including German are an asset.
Terms and conditions:
- The position is available from February 2016 at the ICLEI World Secretariat in Bonn, Germany. The duration is planned until November 2016, with a possible extension beyond that date (dependent on project funding).
- Workings hours: 40/week, 30 days of paid leave per year - The position reports to the Resilient Cities Program Manager.
- The title is “Junior Project Officer”. The salary will reflect qualifications and experience and is between 23,000 – 28,000 Euro gross/year, depending on skills and experiences.
- Final job description and tasks will be set according to the candidates strengths.
- Working language: English
- Due to legal requirements, applicants must be eligible to obtain the appropriate work permit for Germany prior to the start of the position.
Application: By email (email@example.com) or fax (+49-228 / 97 62 99 01). Please include “Resilient Cities Junior Officer” in the subject line. - letter of motivation - CV (max 3 pages) - indication of citizenship (and if non-EU, whether holder of a work permit for Germany) - indication of availability date Deadline for application: 21 December 2015 Be aware that applications are reviewed continuously upon arrival, therefore submitting your application as soon as possible is advisable. The ICLEI World Secretariat shall only contact those applicants shortlisted for this position.